Wheat, Low Sugar Cream Cheese Cookies
It is raining here in Bangalore and the weather is chilly most of the time. It seems like the ideal time to have a cup of hot chocolate with warm cookies, doesn’t it? On such a pleasant day, the idea of making these cookies came to me, mostly because I had a lot of cream cheese lying in the fridge. So, both combined, gave birth to these wheat cream cheese cookies! They are easy to bake, light, low sugar and so delicious! I have used a star cookie cutter here, you can feel free to shape them as you please. Let us get into the ingredients you need for this recipe, the measurements given will yield 20-25 medium size cookies:
200 gms Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
115 gms softened butter (I used Amul salted butter)
60 gms softened cream cheese
100 gms brown sugar/jaggery powder
1 egg, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Cream the butter and cream cheese till they are mixed well.
- Add in the sugar, vanilla essence till they are well combined.
- Add in the egg and mix.
- Once the mixture is light, pale and fluffy, start adding the dry ingredients.
- Sift the wheat flour and add to the mix
- Add the baking powder and mix everything, till you get a soft dough.
- The dough will not be firm or tight, it will be very soft, but rollable. Roll the dough on a parchment paper, in parts, and freeze for 20-25 minutes.
8. Once it is firm, cut desired shapes using a cookie cutter
9. Place them on a baking tray and bake in a preheated microwave oven at 180 degrees for 15-18 minutes, till the edges start to brown.
10. Once done, let them cool for 15-20 minutes, so that they harden, and then consume!
Please note that these cookies will be soft once they are out of the oven and that’s alright.
Once they cool down, they will become firm.
Make sure all your ingredients at room temperature before mixing. You can consume these cookies with a topping of chocolate ganache or Nutella as well!
I hope you guys will try these healthy cookies and let me know your review. You can increase the sugar content by 20-25gms, if you like.