Instant Uddina Idli recipe
Who doesn’t love a good homely lunch? And, when it is healthy, protein rich, nutritious- it is even better, right? So, here we are with a new recipe- this time a popular South Indian lunch. Uddina Idli is made by soaking the dal overnight so that the Idlis turn out soft and the banana leaves are used while steaming them so that the texture remains intact and it becomes more healthy. This recipe was demonstrated to us by a talented Bangalore homechef- Sowjanya. She is a lover of cooking, baking and the like- always coming up with unique recipes and ideas for the well being of her family. Let us see the ingredients we need for her recipe of these delicious Idlis(makes around 16):
1 cup Urad Dal
1 cup raw rice rava
1 coconut- grated
Dil Leaves- a bunch
Ginger – 1/2 grated
Green chillies- 4
Jeera – 2 tsp
Salt- 1 tbsp
Chana Dal- 1 tbsp
- Soak raw rice rava and chana dal for 4-5 hours
- Soak Urad Dal overnight
- Gring urad dal the next day into a smooth batter
- Mix this to the soaked raw rice rava
- Now, to this, add grated coconut, green chillies, dill leaves, jeera, ginger, finely chopped onion, salt and mix.
- Add water, if needed to adjust the batter consistency.
- While making the batter, keep the banana leaves heated and ready on the idli trays.
- Steam some water for 5 minutes in the idli maker before cooking.
- Now, pour the batter one by one in the idli trays.
- Steam them for 10-12 minutes, on low flame, till it is perfectly cooked.
- Add butter while it is hot and serve with chutney!
Now, let us learn how to make two types of chutneys with these delicious Uddina Idlis-
- Grind coconut pieces till they are coarse.
- Add fried gram, fried green chillies, curry leaves, tamarind, rock salt and grind.
- Add a bit of coriander at the end, grind well in a mixer to get a smooth chutney.
- Grind 1/2 cup coconut till it is coarse and to that add 1 cup jaggery. Grind both in a mixer.
- Now, add 1 tbsp fried gram and 4-5 elaichi pieces to this and grind well.
- You will be a smooth chutney.
Your meal is ready- soft idlis with two delicious chutneys, that you can enjoy with family! It is protein packed, healthy, filling and so delicious. Check out the Youtube video for a visual understanding of this recipe.
Hope you all will try this out!