Homemade Khaman Dhokla recipe
Dhokla is a popular Gujarati snack and it happens to be one of favorite foods/farsaan as they call it, to munch on! It’s soft, spongy and when paired with a spicy chutney, tastes even better! I had the intention to shoot the recipe of Dhokla since a while but never got the opportunity to do so. Finally, all thanks to Mrs. Priya Iyer, a blogger and homechef, we shot this beautiful and spongy Dhokla recipe. I loved the texture and taste of this one, and can vouch for the fact that you all should try it too! Here are the list of ingredients required:
- 1 cup besan
2. 4-5 tablespoons of sugar
3. Salt to taste
4. A 1-inch piece of ginger and 1 green chilli, ground to a paste
5. 1/4 teaspoon citric acid powder
6. A dash of lemon juice
7. 1 cup of water or as needed
8. 1 sachet of plain Eno fruit salt, about 1 teaspoon
9. 1/2 tablespoon oil + a little more to grease the steaming vessel
10. 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
11. 2 pinches of asafoetida
12. 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
13. 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
- In a large bowl, add the besan, sugar, salt, citric acid powder and mix well.
- In a mixer, grind the green chillies and ginger with some water to get a watery paste.
- Add it to the bowl of besan/gram flour and mix.
- Next, add lime juice, water and mix everything well to get a smooth and consistent batter.
- Steam a vessel on your gas oven, oil a vessel for the Dhokla and keep it ready.
- As a final ingredient, add a packet of Eno to the batter and mix well.
- At this stage, if you feel that the batter is too dry, add a few tablespoons of water and mix.
- Once you get a lump-free batter, add it to the oiled vessel and steam on a low flame.
- Steam it for 20-25 minutes to get soft and spongy Dhokla
- Add the tempering with mustard seeds, sesame seeds, hing, coriander and serve it hot!
I hope you all liked this recipe and will try it at home for snacks or a healthy breakfast! Do check out Priya’s instgram page for her creative homemade recipes.
For a visual understanding, check out the Youtube recipe video.