Eggless, Wheat Masala Donuts- Healthy baked snack
Healthy homebaked snack on your mind? Then, I would like to share this eggless, whole wheat recipe with you which is delicious, perfect for kids lunch boxes and comes in handy as a tea time snack! These are Masala Donuts, prepared by a Bangalore based homebaker, Shambhavi Bharath of ‘Bhuvis Bakehouse‘. She has developed this recipe over time and calls it as a huge hit among her customers! Let us see how to make it at home:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp instant yeast
15 gms/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp butter/oil
Salt to taste
Finely chopped onions, green chillies, curry leaves ginger and coriander leaves
- Warm 1/4 cup milk and take it in a mixing bowl. Add sugar and yeast. Mix very well.
- Add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, mix well with a spoon. Cover and rest for 20-30 mins. You’ll see that the dough has become stringy.
- Now, add the remaining 1/2 cup of wheat flour, salt, and 1/4 cup milk and knead to a soft dough. Add more milk if needed or if you feel the dough is too watery, sprinkle some wheat flour and add butter or oil bit by bit and bring the dough together. The dough should be softer than the regular roti dough.
- Cover and let it rest for 45 mins to 1 hour. This is called the first proofing.
- Once the dough is rested, lightly knead, and roll into a circle of about 1/2 inch thickness
- Now, using a donut cutter or a bowl at home, cut circles and arrange on baking tray.
- Brush it lightly with milk and prove for about 15-20 mins. This is called second proofing.
- In the meanwhile preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Bake them for about 12-15 mins depending on the oven and size of the donuts.
- Don’t brown the bottom too much else the donuts will become hard.
- Once baked, brush the top with butter and bake with just the top rod on for about 3 mins. Serve hot with sauce or chutney!
It takes a bit of time, patience and work to bake these healthy snacks at home but the final result is surely worth it! It can be used for multiple things and tastes delicious, so why don’t you try them at home?
For more, check out the detailed recipe video on my Youtube channel and make sure you subscribe for more recipes.