Eggless & healthy Chocolate Orange Cake
Winter calls for a slice of cake with a warm cup of tea or coffee, isn’t it? And when the bake is made at home, made healthy, it’s definitely more desirable! We love cake! When there is nothing sweet available at home, we bake a cake and relish it! Having practiced healthy baking for over a year, we never want to shift to the store bought unhealthy ones that contain refined flours, sugars, preservatives and cake gel. Healthy homemade bakes are, anyday, the best option for a guilt free binge.
The recipe we are sharing today is a pre Christmas bake that contains a citrusy taste, along with the decadent chocolate, but nothing is overpowering, due to it’s perfect balance! It’s eggless, fluffy, easy to bake and requires quickly available ingredients. We used a small size bread loaf tin for baking this and it yielded a mini cake. You can double the recipe as well for baking a cake of a bigger size.
Have excess batter left? Use it to make orange and chocolate muffins, equally delicious. Now, let us dive into the recipe?
These are the ingredients you need to make the batter-
Whole Wheat Flour- 90gms
Baking Powder- ½ tsp
Baking Soda- 1/4th tsp
Salt- a pinch
Jaggery powder/Brown Sugar/ Coconut Sugar- 70gms
Melted Butter/regular white oil- 30ml
Fresh Orange Juice- 100ml
Orange Zest – 1tbsp
Warm Water – 2tbsp (if needed)
Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
For the frosting – Chocolate ganache and chocolate chips
- Sift the wheat flour, salt, baking powder and soda twice. Mix well and keep aside in a bowl.
- In a bowl, add the sugar, melted butter/oil, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla essence, curd and whisk well.
- Now, add the liquid to the dry ingredients.
- Incorporate both well till there are no lumps. Add warm water if the dough feels dry. Do not overmix at this stage. The dough will be semi-smooth (not runny).
- Line a baking tray and pour the mix in it.
- Tap the tin on the counter in order to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 35 minutes till the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down, while you prepare the frosting.
For the frosting, we took ½ cup dark chocolate in a saucepan, added 5-6 tbsp of fresh cream to it and combined it to form a paste at very low flame. Apply this on the cake once it has cooled down. You can decorate with chocolate chips or sprinkles of orange zest at the end!
Enjoy it with your warm cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate! If you try this recipe, do leave your comments below and tell us, would love to see pictures of your bake.
Have a great day and happy baking!