Cottage Cheese and Corn QUICHE (Healthy Bake)
Savory bakes are challenging for me as I usually indulge in the sweet ones such as cakes, brownies, cupcakes, and more. Most of my experiments in the healthy baking area involves chocolate as everyone in the family seems to love that! But, in order to expand my knowledge and understanding of baking, savory baking was something I wanted to try out. I have baked healthy breads before, natural colored breads, baked veggies, baked paneer tikka, and a few more. In order to learn more, I decided to give a try to baking a quiche, of course, a healthier one than the ones available at stores. I made the filling with paneer, corn and spices, you are free to use mince chicken or any other filling you like! Here is what you need to make the crust of this quiche:
180gms Whole Wheat Flour/Atta
40gms cold butter (salted/unsalted)
1/2 tsp salt (skip, if using salted butter)
1 tbsp mixed herbs
Cold water to bring the dough together
Ingredients for the quiche filling:
Cottage cheese/homemade Paneer
Sweet Corn (frozen/fresh)
Salt, red chilli flakes, oregano
For the upper layer:
Red chilli flakes
- We will start with making the quiche base. In a bowl, take the wheat flour (atta), add salt, herbs and give it a good whisk. To this, add the cold butter and rub it with the flour, till it resembles breadcrumbs. Then, add enough cold water to make a smooth dough. Make sure you add small amounts of water slowly to the dough, in order to prevent it from becoming sticky.
- Now, wrap this dough with a cling film and freeze it for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease a removable pie tin, and preheat your oven at 180 degrees.
- Once the pie dough is out, press it on the tin evenly and even on the sides to form a crust. You can use any flat base or measuring cup here to make the dough even on the pie tin. If there is excess dough remaining here, leave it aside for a mini pie later on.
- Once your tin is ready, blind bake (without any filling) it at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Once it is baked, let it cool for 10 minutes before filling.
- For the filling, combine the cottage cheese, sweet corn, salt and mixed herbs in a small bowl. For extra flavours, you can add spinach/basil here too.
- Spread this filling evenly on the baked pie crust.
- In another small bowl, whisk 2 eggs, 1/4 cup milk/soy milk, red chilli flakes, cream cheese (optional), fresh cream (optional).
- Pour this liquid on the pie crust with the filling. Let it spread evenly. Tap it lightly on the counter if it doesn’t settle immediately.
6. Bake this at 180 degrees for 25-30 minutes till your quiche is perfectly baked!
Enjoy this quiche for breakfast or with your evening cuppa, it’s a healthy delight!