Bengali KHICHUDI – an authentic vegetarian one pot meal
Khichudi is a delectable and well known one pot meal, not just for Bengalis, but for Indians, in general. You might have heard your mother suggest Khichdi for lunch when you are sick or in our case, the day we eat vegeterian at home, Saturdays. Bengalis love their ‘Bhoger Khichudi’, a special offering during Durga Pujo at Pandals or the homemade version, which is packed with flavour, goodness, but is simple, all at the same time. It is accompanied with Lebra or a mix vegetable dish and roasted Papad for a full meal.
Our mother has been cooking this Khichdi at home, since as long as we can remember. It has a disntic taste and flavour, that is simple, yet flavourful. We sure love this homemade meal and in order to share it with the world, we recorded her recipe as well. Here is the written version that you can try at home:
INGREDIENTS (Makes khichudi for approx. 5-6 people):
1 Cup Masoor Dal (250gms)
1.5 Cups White Rice (400gms)
6-7 tbsp Ghee
1 tbsp EACH of salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder
3 medium size tomatoes
2 medium size onions
4 green chillies
1 small ginger
2 cups water
2 dried red chillies
4 bay leaves
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp sugar
1. In a kadhai, heat 2 tbsp ghee and sautee 2 dried red chillies, 4 bay leaves in it.
2. In a mixer, grind 2 medium size onions, 2 green chillies, one small ginger, 4-5 cloves of garlic and add to the kadhai
3. Fry these well till the raw smell goes away
4. Add 1 Cup Masoor Dal and 1.5 cups of white rice to the kadhai and mix well.
5. Add 1 tbsp each of salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder
6. Mix everything well.
6. Chop 1 tomato roughly and add to the kadhai along with 2 green chillies
7. Grate 2 more tomatoes in the mixer and add to the kadhai.
8. Now, add 2 cups of water to the kadhai and mix all of this well.
9. Cover the lid and let this cook for 10-15 minutes
10. When it is boiling hot, add 1 tbsp of sugar and mix.
Your Khichudi is ready to be served! Serve it hot, along with Papad or Lebra(mix vegetables Bengali style)
We hope you enjoyed this special vegetarian Bengali recipe and will give it a try! Till then, stay safe and have a great day ahead.
The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota.