Baked and Braided Wheat Chicken Paratha
Parathas are an all time desi delight for many with the makkhan, the pickle, the curd or the Lassi. They can be made with the filling of your choice and savored for a filling lunch or dinner! Usually, they don’t even need a companion such as a veggie or side dish because they are the stars of the table, ready to be dipped in fresh curd. We love Parathas and though our mother makes it the usual way (on the tava) a lot, we thought of creating one with a twist, as an experiment, and it worked so well! Everyone enjoyed it at home for dinner and we are looking forward to (b)making it again! Instead of making it on the tava, we baked the Paratha with a whole wheat crust, filled it with a delicious Keema filling and braided it, for the ‘beautification’. They came out full of flavor, crunch, taste and baked Parathas are definitely a hit now for the lesser hassle and the less eye keeping on the tava while it is being cooked.
Let’s learn how to make this desi delight with a twist at home:
For the filling-
500gms Chicken Keema (You can use Mutton Keema as well)
½ Cup sliced bell peppers
1 Onion finely sliced
½ Cup Sweet Corn
½ Cup Sliced Carrot
5-6 garlic pods
Salt to taste
½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
½ tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp Jeera Powder
½ tsp Aamchoor Powder
2 tbsp Olive Oil or regular oil
For the dough:
4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour/Atta
½ tsp Baking Powder
3-4 tbsp Olive Oil
½ tsp Salt
Water enough to bring it together as a dough.
- Make a soft dough using the ingredients listed and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- For the filling, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan, sautee the onions and garlic till they are brown. Add the bell peppers, carrots and corn.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Add in the Keema and mix thoroughly.
6. Add the spices given on the list and mix well. Let this cook for 10-12 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, roll out the dough in an oval shape. Slice the edges with a knife as shown.
8. Add salsa or tomato sauce in the middle, add the prepared keema filling, grated cheese (optional), flavor with pepper or basil on the top and then close the Paratha by braiding it.
9. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle sesame seeds and its ready to be baked!
10. Place this on a well oiled tray and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until they are golden brown in color.
11. Serve with dips or sauce.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe of braided chicken paratha as much as we enjoyed making it. For more recipes, follow and subscribe to our Youtube channel Rasoisaga